Web Security Map comes with online documentation, installation instructions and a series of YouTube videos. While we improve installation and operating practices all the time, these videos can come in handy to get a general sense of what Web Security Map does in practice.
These videos help with setting up an installation for the first time. This is an overview of those videos:
This video shows how to install Web Security Map on a virtual machine. This is done with a single command on a clean and dedicated machine.
This video shows how to import countries to the map. It shows how to create an administrative region (if it doesn’t exist yet) and import data from Open Street Maps. It will then guide how to display the new country to your visitors and how to allow scans to happen. Once you get the gist of it, you’ll be able to add another country in seconds.
- 00:14 Administrative Regions & Map Configurations
- 01:05 Showing administrative regions
- 01:44 Adding a new administrative region (when needed)
- 05:10 Actually importing an administrative region
- 06:09 What happens behind the scenes while importing
- 07:40 Updating existing administrative regions
- 08:16 Map configurations (menu items)
- 09:17 Showing the imported region on the map
- 10:27 How to allow scanning on the new country
- 11:04 End
This is a tour of the Web Security Map admin interface. It shows how this interface works in general and what data is stored. This can help you administer the data in Web Security Map and get a deeper understanding of its inner workings. With the knowledge presented in this video you can explore all data in Web Security Map yourself.
Configuration options allow you to display all kinds of interesting stuff on the website, as well as use external services to improve the Web Security Map experience, and to enable or disable scanners. The video is extensive and show exactly how each setting affects the working of your Web Security Map installation.
- 00:12 Intro / Context
- 00:26 Location of configuration options
- 01:11 General Settings (comment, address, notification)
- 03:26 Using external services (MapBox, OSM, etc)
- 06:17 Project information (How you brand Web Security Map)
- 07:43 Contact information (How visitors can reach you)
- 08:28 Chat option (chat box on the site for support)
- 09:12 Comply or Explain (Enabling, impact on the site)
- 11:55 Enabling / Hiding features
- 16:38 Discovery of URLs, endpoints and scanning
- 18:05 Configuration per scanner (Scan, Report, Show)
- 18:52 Fair / Stand options (News Ticker)
- 20:18 Developer + Beta configuration
- 20:46 Closing
This video shows how to add large numbers of organizations to the map. This is done by uploading a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is downloaded and edited. When uploaded the organizations are added to the database. A report is created and a new layer is configured to show the new organizations on the map.
- 00:23 Demo of 1000+ organizations (entire Dutch government)
- 01:20 Creating a Data set
- 02:11 Example spreadsheets
- 03:35 Setting the rest of the Data set options
- 03:59 Setting up a Google Maps API key
- 04:30 Importing and a peek behind the curtains
- 04:50 Looking at the imported data
- 05:12 Creating a Map Configuration to show the new data
- 06:20 Creating a report and seeing the new data on the map
- 07:13 End